Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Darin Kramer Darin Kramer is offline

Default Numbers vs Values

I have a spreadsheet in which numbers are formatted to numbers. Within
the "numbers" there are some letters, eq question 12.2a. For various
reasons I use the Left(a1,4) command to just get the 12.2. I then
multiply it by 1 to convert the result to a number, which i then apply a
Vlookup to. (formuale is thus (1*left(a1,4)
The problem is it works FINE on my machine, but when looked at by
someone else, the . is changed to a , and the formulae produces a #value
error. Im going insane trying to get it to work in both enviornments.
Any thoughts on how to achieve a consistent solution (ie works on both
machines) would be welcomed.
(Elsewhere in the spreadsheet, where I have had to check if a value
equals another one, I have said =12+2/10 to get back to a 12.2 (but not
12,2)- which may be also be a problem?
Thanks