Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Fredrik Wahlgren Fredrik Wahlgren is offline

Default Web Services using vba

Dave's suggestion is probably waht you need. If you can create a connection
to your SQL server on your local computer, you won't need Citrix. In my
opinion, using ADO in vba will make it easy and flexible to get data. The
only problem could be the connection string. You can create an empty text
file and change the extension to udl if your PC is set to show them. The
icon will change. When you doubleclick on it, there will be a wizard that
helps you to build an connection.

You can either use the udl file in your code or change the extension to txt
which will reveal the connection string.

/Fredrik

"Dave Patrick" wrote in message
You should be able to use ADO

Dim strSQL1 As String
strConnect1 = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist
Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=MyDatabase;Data Source=MyServer"
Dim cnn1 As ADODB.Connection
Set cnn1 = New ADODB.Connection
cnn1.Open strConnect1
Dim rs1 As ADODB.Recordset
Set rs1 = New ADODB.Recordset

strSQL1 = "SELECT lastname, firstname FROM tbl_names "

rs1.Open strSQL1, cnn1, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly
Do While rs1.EOF = False
do something here

rs1.MoveNext
Loop
rs1.Close
cnn1.Close

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"djb" wrote:
| Thanks for the reply. I used to be able to connect directly to a SQL
Server
| database and bring the data automatically into Excel but now I have to

go
| through a terminal server to access the data so I was hoping to create

web
| services to the data on the SQL Server and consume them in Excel.
|
| "Fredrik Wahlgren" wrote:
|

| "djb" wrote in message
| Is it possible to consume web services in Excel using vba or do you
need
| use .NET?
| --
| djb
|
| Maybe. I wouldn't recommend it. I think you would need VB6 or .Net

code
that
| in turn calls Excel. Microsoft has recommended against using Excel as

| server application. Can you please tell more about what you want to

do?