Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Random

Nigel was referring to the worksheetfunction RAND. You are referring to the
VBA function RND.

All random number generators are pseudo random number generators - Randomize
changes where the current number enters the fixed stream of numbers - I
don't see where using it would make the numbers anymore random (whatever
that means - as far as I know the numbers are either random or they aren't -
I haven't heard of any starndard for determining degrees of randomness - but
it certainly isn't a topic of intense study for me). As far as
rnd()^rnd() - has this passed some statistical test that shows it produces
improved uniform random numbers (however that would be measured) - or at
least that it produces uniform random numbers at all - I am not sure you can
just assume that it does. After all, adding 6 random numbers together
supposedly is one way to generate normally distributed random numbers.

Tom Ogilvy

"arno" wrote in message
Hi Nigel,

will produce random lists. (Note: The random function is not a random
as you might think but for this purpose it might suit you?)

well, it is more "random-like" when you allways use
Randomize
at the beginning of the code and if you use
myRandom = Rnd()^Rnd()
for each random number you create.

arno