Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Maury Markowitz Maury Markowitz is offline

Default Can never edit my projects, everything is always "read-only mode"

I have a collection of VBA code we use in a number of spreadsheets that has
been placed in a file cause "autodatabase" and used as an add-in in lots of
things. The file is placed on our fileserver so everyone has access to it.

Practically every time I try to do an update to the code I find, after the
fact, that the file is in "read-only mode". It does not tell me this when I
open it or start editing, only later when I try to save.

It offers no information on why it is in read-only mode. I go around and
quit everyone else out of Excel, but that doesn't seem to help. No one has it
open, so why is it in read-only mode?

In fact, the file in question is password protected, so in fact no one
except me should EVER have it in writable mode.

Can someone offer suggestions on...

1) why this is happening
2) some way to solve it when it happens
3) a better solution so I don't have this problem in the first place

Maury