David McRitchie

or if you want red and you want thousands separated by a comma
#,##0.00_);[Red](#,##0.00)
#,###.00_);[Red](#,###.00)

What version of Excel and in what language are you using?
You might want to feed a search into Google like since I don't
remember where the problem was I'll leave the exact search to you
excel 2000 accounting format* parenthes* French
There might be a setting you can use that solves the problem.

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#comma
---
HTH,

"Jeff Beecham" wrote in message ...
Sorry about the mix up with my previous posting.

To put negative amounts in brackets do the following:

Hightlight the cell your working in.
Format
Cells
Custom
Type the following in the space at the top: 0.00_);(0.00)

You will now be able to show negative amounts in brackets in that cell only.

Regards

Jeff Beecham Colchester

"Frustrated of Great Yarmouth" wrote:

I have tried the regional custom settings but the "apply" section is shaded
and inoperative. However the settings show negative numbers in brackets but
when I go to Excel all it does is show minus signs !! It is so terribly
frustrating.