David McRitchie

Hi Eric,
Actually I did record a macro before I posted, so what do you mean
by it failed. Did you remember to do your bolding on the formula bar
rather than in the cell.

I gave you a link on a page easier to remember which was
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#surname
which points to a complete example on
Surnames, Special formatting for LASTNAME, firstname
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/surname.htm

which calculates the xx length that the beginning of each cell in
a range or selection is to be bolded. If you look at the macro
the variable I actually use is i to find the comma which will determine
the length to be bolded (and capitalized). Separate macros were provided
the "inner" macro to do the work. A macro that you would be able
to see using Alt+F8 that invokes the inner macro, and finally a
Change Event macro to invoke the "inner" macro so that an entry
would be changed as soon as you entered a value into a cell.

---
HTH,

"Eric" wrote in message ...
David McRitchie wrote:

Hi Eric,
If you recorded a macro you would have a very good start.

See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#surname

If not familiar with installing and using a macro see
and once you've installed and used a macro and have a new macro
question it would be better to post in excel.programming

I tried that but it fails to record when you do this. Try it, it will
error out of the record mode if you exit the cell after bolding part of the
cell text
Eric