Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default vlookup to return cell position as to where result was found

formula was tested and works as described. It doesn't go to Eva - 1,
because offset is zero based. So it goes to the Eva row.

Tom Ogilvy

"Rock" wrote in message
=sum(offset($A$1,match("Eva",$A$1:$A$3,0)-1,1,1,10))

This does not seem to work as it is suppose to.It makes sense when I look

at
it but
it does not seem to go to $a$1then down to Eva -1 and when I change the

name
it does not seem to move as it should. The ="A"&match one does give me the
right cell number but cannot be put into the sum offset formula????

Thanks

Roch

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

="A"&match("Eva",A1:A3,0)

but that wouldn't be useful for the offset function

maybe something like
=sum(offset($A$1,match("Eva",$A$1:$A$3,0)-1,1,1,10))

would sum B3:K3

Tom Ogilvy

"Rock" wrote in message
I would like to run a vlookup for a name and have it return the

location
of
the cell where it finds it so I can use it in a sum(offset())

function.

column A
row 1 Sam
row 2 Bill
row 3 Eva

Vlookup( EVA,A1:C3,location Cell) would like result to be A3

--
Thanks

Roch