Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ben Johnson Ben Johnson is offline

Default Spawn Add Printer Wizard from Hyperlink

Hi,

I use a printer spreadsheet to track all of the printers we're currently
using on site (about 40 of them). Every time I image a new machine I use a
checklist that includes a hyperlink to open up my printer spreadsheet so that
I can see which printer is appropriate to the user I'm prepping a machine for.

I want to create a hyperlink in the printer spreadsheet that will spawn the
Add Printer wizard, to save me a few mouse clicks/keystrokes - if it's
possible. I found information about spawning the wizard on a couple of web
sites, so my hyperlink currently looks like this:
c:\windows\system32\RunDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,SHHelpShortcuts_RunDLL AddPrinter

"RunDLL32.EXE SHELL32.DLL,SHHelpShortcuts_RunDLL AddPrinter" is apparently
the string you can use to spawn the Add Printer wizard and it works if you
paste it directly into the Run dialog box. But when I click my hyperlink in
the spreadsheet I get the following error:
"Cannot open the specified file"

If I don't prefix the command string that spawns the wizard with
"C:\windows\system32" then the hyperlink automatically causes Excel to look
for RUNDLL32.EXE in the directory where the spreadsheet is stored.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben.