Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
inquirer inquirer is offline

Default viewing big charts

Thanks Jon that's a great article.

I guess the problem I have is that if I have daily data for 10 years and
plot this on a standard excel chart, the x axis is compressed and some of
the detail in the pattern is difficult to see. I want to stretch the x axis
out to see individual points clearly. This means having an x axis that may
be 5-6 screenwidths in length and I would like to be able to scroll back and
forth along this length. I was looking for an easy or simple way to be able
to set the actual length of the x axis.
Chris

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
Chris -

I think you should look at this article I wrote last year:

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

inquirer wrote:

I want to graph some time series data- daily data going back 10-15

years.
I would like to be able to set the length of the x axis programatically

so
that I can produce charts that can be directly compared.
I have just tried your suggestion and it is fine manually but when I put

the
manual change into a macro I got
ActiveSheet.Shapes("Chart 1").ScaleWidth 1.98, msoFalse,

msoScaleFromTopLeft
which looks as tho it is what I want but I am not sure how to control

the
ScaleWidth - what does the 1.98 refer to?

Thanks
Chris
"Greg Wilson" wrote in message

Why not just embed the chart in a worksheet instead of creating a chart

sheet

and size it manually to suit? If you don't want someone to be able to

scroll

beyond the limits of the chart then add the following code to the
ThisWorkbook code module:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Sheets("Sheet1").ScrollArea = "A1:T50"
End Sub

Change the referenced range (here "A1:T50") to fit the range occupied by

the

chart. You will likely have to adjust the row height, column widths and

chart

dimensions slightly so that the user can't see any leftover worksheet

when
scrolling to the limits of the range.

Regards,
Greg

"inquirer" wrote:

Is there any way to create large charts in excel, ie those that exceed

the

screen size, and view them by creating scroll bars and scrolling

right/left,

up/down ?
Chris