Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Countif with conditional formatting

=Index($A$1:$E$1,1,match(min(A2:E2),A2:E2,0))
in F2, then drag fill down the column. this will give the person with the
min for that row. then you can use countif on Column F

=Countif(F:F,"John")

Tom Ogilvy

"Johnny" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have rows of numbers such as:

John Mike Jason Joe Tom
11 12.5 15 17 4
12 14 11 6 5
6 11 9 4 14

For a given row, using conditional formatting, I highlight the lowest
number. (min function).

From the column perspective, I would like to total the number of times

a column (person) had the lowest number.

One thing I tried was using a formula such as:
=offset(min(A3:E3),-1,0)
I was trying to get the name of the person with the lowest number, per
row. Then I thought I could do a countif down the columns of names....

Anyway, the offset function I tried has an error in it, and I just
can't seem to clear it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
John