Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dick Kusleika[_4_] Dick Kusleika[_4_] is offline

Default #NAME?

Dean wrote:
<< Kind of a pain, but I think you're stuck with it. ... Nice bug
find, by the way. I can't believe this has never come up before, or
at least that I could find.

I'm not sure if you addressed the fact that the formula does produce
an answer, except if you try to F2-F9 it (in which case, you get
#NAME).

That's a given, so I didn't think it was necessary. Here's a plug for my
website
http://www.dicks-blog.com/archives/2...e-formula-bar/

But, I think the explanation might be over my head anyway,
so don't worry. Really, I was more worried that the value produced
might be unstable or corrupted or wrong and I think you are
suggesting it is probably OK. And, if I am paranoid, I can break it
up into steps, as you suggest.

I personally wouldn't worry that the calculated value is incorrect or
unstable, but I didn't want to make that decision for you. I think this is
an example of a certain algorithm (calculating values in the formula bar)
that doesn't work well in certain situations (calling functions from an XLL
twice) and that it doesn't have anything to do with the integrity of the
calculation outside of the formula bar. However...

If someone said, "Well, they screwed this up so who knows what else they
screwed up.", I don't have a good argument against that. In short, only you
can decide if you need to worry. If you're working for NASA, I think you
should worry. If you're doing your mother-in-laws taxes, don't fret.

Your finding that you can't add two such functions is certainly very
interesting, even to a layman like me.

Lastly, thank you for the compliment. I am usually shunned when I
point out EXCEL bugs. This was a first!

If you really enjoy finding and explaining bugs, here's an oldie but
a goodie. Kindly look back at my Jan 25th post (11:48PM PST?)
entitled "Scary". It has to do with a dependent cell not updating
with a change in an independent variable cell's value. If I hit F9
or cntl alt F9, it still does not update. If I go into edit mode,
take out a character and immediately put it back, and hit enter, it
updates fine. Or, if I save the file, close the file, close EXCEL,
and re-open the file, the update is there. This was a very basic
file, as discussed in that thread. Let me know what you think, if
you care to.

You're welcome and I will take a look.

--
Dick Kusleika