Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Elaine Elaine is offline

Default Re-Alphabetize list with hidden rows

Thank you very much, Jim. If I could impose upon you a bit mo
I see that you have Chr(65) etc and I think that it is ingenious. However,
if one wanted a list from a..az for instance (it would become aa after z has
been reached) how does one do that?

Your macro is obviously very nice in that I don't even have to enter an 'a'
in the first cell. In the number macro that I included with my first note, I
have to enter a '1' in the first cell and then select the area that should be
numbered and then run the macro.

Your macro is so useful that I should modify your macro to work with numbers.

When I posed this question I was not optimistic about getting a reply as I
had checked a half-dozen books, the google website and consulted with several
people more technically proficient than myself and could not get anything
close. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide an answer to this
question. It is going to prove most useful.

--Elaine

"Jim Cone" wrote:

Elaine,

The following code will work on a single column or row with hidden cells.
Also, I could not get your number macro to work for me.
'--------------------------------------------------
Sub MakeVisCellsAlpha()
Dim rngCell As Excel.Range
Dim rng As Excel.Range
Dim lngNum As Long
lngNum = 65

Set rng = Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible)
For Each rngCell In rng
rngCell.Value = Chr$(lngNum)
If lngNum = 90 Then
lngNum = 65
Else
lngNum = lngNum + 1
End If
Next 'rngCell
Set rngCell = Nothing
Set rng = Nothing
End Sub
'--------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Elaine" wrote in message
I have a custom list of letters A-Z which enables me to type an 'a' in cell
E3 and drag down the fill handle to get the other characters. However, when
rows are hidden I would like to ignore hidden cells and re-alphabetize just
the visible cells.
I am able to do this with numbers with the following recorded macro:

Sub mcrRenumVisCells()
'Renumbers visible cells -- ignores hidden cells
Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Select
Selection.DataSeries Rowcol:=xlColumns, Type:=xlLinear, Date:=xlDay,
Step:=1, Trend:=False
End Sub

Is there anything I can do adapt this for my alphabets? Thanks.