Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dean[_8_] Dean[_8_] is offline

Default #NAME?

I guess I wasn't very clear. The cell computes to a number and that number
appears in, say, two decimal places on the spreadsheet, subject to the
two-decimal place formatting of that cell. Suppose I was just curious what
the value was shown to the maximum number of decimal places EXCEL actually
uses. Then I might go to the cell, hit the F2 key, then the F9 key. Then
once I copied down the result on a piece of paper, I would hit the escape
key so the formula doesn't get wiped out. This is what I have done. When I
hit escape, the formula and value is, of course, still there in the cell.

What I am saying is that, after hitting F9 (or cntl-alt-F9, which I've been
told does a more complete recalc), the value that appears up in the formula
bar area is #NAME?.

Ok, cell A1 in my example below is really a very complex formula, not
something simple. But that shouldn't matter - should it? I just fear that
I cannot trust a worksheet that exhibits this kind of behavior.

What do you think, Dick?

Dean

"Dick Kusleika" wrote in message
Dean

Is it showing a non-zero value or the #NAME? error?

--
Dick Kusleika
Excel MVP

Dean wrote:
I have an iserror formula i.e.,

if(iserror(a1),0,a1)

that is showing a non-zero value, one which I completely believe is
correct. However, when I go to the cell, hit F2, then F9, it shows
#NAME?.
I also tried F2, then ctrl alt F9, but still got the same #NAME?
result.
Why does this happen?

Thanks,
Dean