ExcelNovice

Default What does 'cell("color",A1)' do?

We were looking to take a look at the background color of a cell. I saw a
lot of references to http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm in other posts.
Is it true that you cannot access a cells color without using VBA?

This is the information I found in the help:
CELL(info_type,reference)
Info_type is a text value that specifies what type of cell information you
want.

"color" Returns 1 if the cell is formatted in color for negative values;
otherwise returns 0 (zero). {Unfortunately I don't understand what this
means.}
If anyone can clue me in as to what this might be used for, or better yet
how I can examine a cells background without breaking into VBA, I would be
most appreciative