Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Thomlinson[_3_] Jim Thomlinson[_3_] is offline

Default Change macro security using VBA?

While it is not possible to modify the security settings (if you could then
that is what a virus would do and defeat the whole point of security
settings) there are a few things that you can do.

There are ways to electronically sign macros so that they will run
regardless of security settings, but you have to pay for the right to sign
macros and jump through a few hoops to get one in the first place.

The other option which is easy and free is to have a sheet which explains to
a user how to set the proper security settings. This sheet is hidden when an
on_open macro runs. So if they have the proper security settings, they never
see it. Otherwise they are prompted with instructions. I have used this
fairly successfully.

HTH

"michael.beckinsale" wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody know if it is possible to change the macro security level
using VBA ?

I am currently using Excel 2003 but workbooks may have to be
distributed to Excel 2000 & 97 users. I assume that if code is
available it will work on both 2000 & 2003 but not sure how 97 will
work

Any suggestions / ideas gratefully received

Regards