Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ken Wright Ken Wright is offline

Default Legal advice on selling Excel spreadsheet program file

Sure. All you will be creating is either a workbook or an addin, not an
executable that can be run without Excel, so any purchaser will need to have
Excel on their machine to run it.. There are multiple examples of that in
these groups, such as John Walkenbach's PuPV6 addin, Charles Williams'
FastExcelV2 addin etc. Be aware though that there is no truly foolproof way
of protecting your data once it has been distributed. Regardless of the
level of protection you put on it, virtually any of the regulars in here
could be into your code in a matter of seconds once the workbook is open.
Don't let that put you off in any way, but do be aware of it.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Gig" wrote in message
I work as an engineer for a pump distributor and have written an Excel
based spreadsheet program which will print out part numbers and prices of
the parts
for any selected pump/options combination of one particular pump
manufacturer whom we represent.

I am nearly finished with the program and am currently working out
small bugs in it. I would like to market and sell this program to other
pump distributors across the USA that also sell this brand of pump.

I'm an engineer and not too familiar with legalities. Is this legal?
Would I need a special license or permission to do this? Any advice is
appreciated.

Greg