Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ben H Ben H is offline

Default Problem with Code Below

When I debug it, its giving me an error right at the "Set rng=..." the same
one as before. I modified my code to read as such

Function Look_Up_Accross(ByVal What_I_Want)

Dim sStr As String, rng As Range
With Worksheets(1)
Set rng = .Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, 256).End(xlToLeft))
End With
res = Application.Match(What_I_Want, rng, 0)
If Not IsError(res) Then
MsgBox "column: " & res
Else
MsgBox "Not found"
End If

Look_Up_Accross = res

End Function

Thanks

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

possibly you need to qualify the range elements - perhaps you have a
different sheet active this week than last.

Function Look_Up_Accross(ByVal What_I_Want)

Dim sStr As String, rng As Range
With Worksheets("Sheet3")
Set rng = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(1, 256).End(xlToLeft))
End with
res = Application.Match(What_I_Want, rng, 0)
If Not IsError(res) Then
MsgBox "column: " & res
Else
MsgBox "Not found"
End If

Look_Up_Accross = res

End Function

Change to reflect the sheet that contains the lookup table.

Tom Ogilvy

"Ben H" wrote in message
I forgot to mention this work perfectly last week and its giving me a

Runtime error '1004'
Method 'Cells' of object '_Global' failed

"Ben H" wrote:

Hi all

Can someone please explain why this isn't working? It is called from a
different Sub marco with What_I_Want being a text string I need to

match. It
should return the value of hte column as well

Function Look_Up_Accross(ByVal What_I_Want)

Dim sStr As String, rng As Range

Set rng = Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, 256).End(xlToLeft))
res = Application.Match(What_I_Want, rng, 0)
If Not IsError(res) Then
MsgBox "column: " & res
Else
MsgBox "Not found"