Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Ogilvy Tom Ogilvy is offline

Default Problem with Code Below

That is not required. As written it will work fine.

Using Application.WorksheetFunctionMatch raises a trappable error requiring
the additional error handling you describe (when a match is not made).
Using Application.match does not raise such an error and can be tested as
shown in the code.

Tom Ogilvy

"JohnExcel" wrote in message
I think that what you have will work if you...
Replace "application.match"
With "application.worksheetfunction.match"

Also, I would place the statement "On Error Goto Next" after the Dim
statement.

"Ben H" wrote:

Hi all

Can someone please explain why this isn't working? It is called from a
different Sub marco with What_I_Want being a text string I need to

match. It
should return the value of hte column as well

Function Look_Up_Accross(ByVal What_I_Want)

Dim sStr As String, rng As Range

Set rng = Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, 256).End(xlToLeft))
res = Application.Match(What_I_Want, rng, 0)
If Not IsError(res) Then
MsgBox "column: " & res
Else
MsgBox "Not found"