Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Giz Giz is offline

Default conducting a count on unknown number of records

thanx for the response.

When I run the code I get the error "variable not defined" on the "num"
variable, in the line of code: "num = evaluate (sForm)". I am not sure what
to define num, although I think it is a integer or other type of number.
So I tried to define it as a integer, then I ran it. When I did that I got a
"type mismatch" on the same line of code for "(sForm)". I am not sure what
is up so any help would be appreciated. thanx

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

Change Col to point to the column you want to check. This assumes there are
no blank cells in the data in the column.

Sub countunique()
Dim sh As Worksheet
Dim rng As Range
Dim sStr As String
Dim sForm As String
Dim col As Long
col = 2
For Each sh In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
Set rng = sh.Range(sh.Cells(2, col), _
sh.Cells(Rows.Count, col).End(xlUp))
sStr = "'" & rng.Parent.Name & "'!" & _
rng.Address(0, 0, xlA1, False)
sForm = "SUM(1/COUNTIF(" & sStr & "," & _
sStr & "))"
num = Evaluate(sForm)
Debug.Print sh.Name, col, num
Next
End Sub

See the result in the immediate window of the VBE.

Tom Ogilvy

"Giz" wrote in message
Hi, I have the relatively simple code below to conduct a count of uniquely
identified records in excel spreadsheet:

count = 1
name = "simple_excel_export_table"
numrows = 19
For s = 2 To numrows
With Worksheets(name)
cellb = .Cells(s, 1).Value
cella = .Cells(s + 1, 1).Value
If cella cellb Then
count = count + 1
End If
End With
Next s

For example, this code on the following spreadsheet would result in a

count
of 4 (there are many more columns in my spreadsheet, this is just a

sample):

ID UserSiteID
1 61051
1 61051
1 61051
1 61051
1 61051
2 61050
2 61050
2 61050
3 61048
3 61048
3 61048
3 61048
3 61048
4 61043
4 61043
4 61043
4 61043
4 61043
4 61043

however, this code is to be run on multiple sheets with different amounts

of
records from sheet to sheet. How can I enhance the code to assign the

proper
number of records, or rows, to the "numrows" variable for each

spreadsheet,
without having to manually go change the number assigned to "numrows" each
time? Or is there a better way to do this?? any help appreciated