Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Robin Hammond[_2_] Robin Hammond[_2_] is offline

Default Catching duplicate filenames when renaming a file

Phil,

How about

If Dir(newfilename)<"" then
'the file exists
else
'save the file
end if

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

"General" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

In my code I have to rename some files, using the command:

Name oldfilename as newfilename

Sometimes the newfilename already exists so I am looking for a way to
detect that condition, I tried:

If iserror(Name oldfilename as newfilename) then
CODE HERE
else
name oldfilename as newfilename
end if

However, Excel "Expects list seperator or )" around the oldfilename in
the iserror statement. Help!

Also, for this code I am in the middle of an application filesearch so
I can't search for the file using application.filesearch.

Thank you!!!

Phil