Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Recognize Names of other Workbooks

Try something like

For Each wb In Application.Workbooks
Msgbox wb.Name
Next wb

in other words, you use the wb object instead of the workbook, such as

Set UTIL = wb.Sheets("Sheet1")

BTW, you don't need to use

Set UTIL = Workbooks(ActiveWorkbook.Name).Sheets("Sheet1")

you can simply use

Set UTIL = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")

--

HTH

RP

"Marty" wrote in message
Hello:

I'm using Excel 2003. I have a workbook (utility.xls) which I use to
extract data from other workbooks. Currently, I have the code written in

the
utility which forces the name of the other workbook to be named something
specific. In this case, "Cost Data.xls":

Dim UTIL, COST as Object
Set UTIL = Workbooks(ActiveWorkbook.Name).Sheets("Sheet1")
Set UTIL = Workbooks("Cost Data.xls").Sheets("Sheet1")
{and so forth}

UTIL is intended to extract data from several workbooks, but right now I

can
only do them one at a time and I have to name each one "Cost data.xls"

before
doing the extraction.

HERE IS MY QUESTION:
Is there a way to get Excel to recognize all of the open workbooks by

their
names (say I want to do five at a time) without renaming them and having

specify a name(s) in my code?

Thanks in advance.

MARTY