RJQMAN

Is there a way to drive the filter command with a macro? How would I do this?

"ScottO" wrote:

My apologies RJQ, I didn't read your post carefully enough.

You're right, the Auto Filter won't do what you want - it requires manual
(or macro driven) intervention each time a cell is changed.

Although not doing exactly what you want, as a work-around you could use
Conditional Formatting to Black Out or otherwise indicate "Out of Bounds"
cells.

Good Luck,
ScottO

"RJQMAN" wrote in message
| I read the information concerning auto-filter before I made my original
post
| (sorry I posted twice - I am a novice at these particular boards), but it
| still does not appear that I can have the worksheet 1) Do anything
| automatically with the auto-filter command, as I believe you have to go to
| the toolbar and manually request the filtering (I tested it with some
changes
| to a reference cell, and it did not seem to pick up the changes
automatically
| - I had to request it to filter again by going to the tool bar), and 2) If
| understand it correctly, auto-filter enables me to shade a cell, but not
hide
| a row.
|
| I am no expert for sure, and any and all help is appreciated.
|
| "ScottO" wrote:
|
| Take a look at Auto Filter.
| Click a cell in your database and go Data/Filter/Auto Filter
| Rgds,
| ScottO
|
| "RJQMAN" wrote in message
| | I am using Excel 2000. I would like to create a worksheet that would
| | automatically hide certain rows depending on a value in a cell in a
| different
| | row (or in the same row, if that would work better). I will be
sharing
| | the worksheet with others and I want to make it as user-friendly as
| possible.
| |
| | The worksheet would have, say, 3 groups of 26 rows. Some users may
only
| use
| | 6 or 7 rows in one group, and 10 rows in the second group, and perhaps
no
| | rows in
| | the third group. Another user may use 10 rows in each of the three
| groups.
| | Each user will have a different need. I would like to be able to
enter a
| | value into three cells and have the extra rows not appear in each
group.
| | do not want the user to have to go to the toolbar to hide or filter
out
| rows
| | that are not used if that can be avoided. Is there any way to do
this?
| |
| | Thanks.
| |