Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Williams Tim Williams is offline

Default Get the row number that matches my value

Try this:

Function GetRow(sText) As Long

Dim lRow As Long
lRow = 0

On Error Resume Next
lRow = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:A500").Find(What:=sText , _
LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart,
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False).Row
On Error GoTo 0

GetRow = lRow

End Function

Tim

"Bruce" wrote in message
I would like to return the row number in which there is a match to a
my
variable.

In this case a is the value I am looking for and its in column a of
Sheets("Sec1").Range("A1:A500")

How should I go about this? Am i going in the right direction by
using
Cells.Find?

Bruce

Sub myDateRow()

a = Format(Sheets("Shares").Range("D9"), "yyyymmdd")

With Sheets("Sec1").Range("A1:A500")
Range("A1").Select
Cells.Find(What:=""" & a & """, After:=ActiveCell,
LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows,
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False).Activate
End With
End Sub