Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Michael R Middleton[_2_] Michael R Middleton[_2_] is offline

Default how do I calculate a mean

higgypop -

Your data are ranked categories, i.e., ordinal data. The appropriate measure
of central tendency is a mode or median.

If you had numerical data, then an appropriate measure of central tendency
is the mean.

- Mike

www.mikemiddleton.com

"higgypop" wrote in message
I have a frequency distribution of a five point scaled question. The data
is
not in raw form....just columns of responses....but a set of frequencies
As=22, Bs=13, Cs=24 etc.....if I had a column with 22 As, 13 Bs and 24 Cs
would just use the Average calculation to calculate the mean of this data.
Short of entering 22 As into the column followed by 13 Bs etc....how can I
calculate a mean. I'm using Excel 2000