Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rob van Gelder[_4_] Rob van Gelder[_4_] is offline

Default Creating a local and hidden name; Parameters

Put your cursor on the word Add then hit F1
Select Excel Add
Then expand the item that reads "Add method as it applies to the Names
object."

I usually use RefersTo but it all depends on your goal.

..Add is a Function so it can return something.
The brackets are for syntax.
You dont use the brackets when there's nothing returning.
eg. .Add "MyName"
or
Set myname = .Add("MyName")

You dont need to return and store Name if you dont want to.
It's useful to store in a variable if you intend to work with it later in
the code.

"Kevin H. Stecyk" wrote in message

I am using XL 2003.

I am curious about adding a range name programmatically.

What I want to do is create a range name that is both local to the sheet
AND hidden.

Be careful with the word wrap.

ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="Sheet1!Blah", Visible:=False,
NameLocal:=True, RefersToR1C1Local:="=Sheet1!A25:B25"

It is now both local and hidden. So that works.

When I am typing this in, I see the prompts as:

Add([Name),[RefersTo],[Visible],[MacroType],[ShortcutKey],[Category],[NameLocal],
[RefersToLocal],[CategoryLocal],[RefersToR1C1],[RefersToR1C1]Local]) as
Name.

Questions:

1) Is there a description somewhere of the various parameters? I didn't
find much luck with the help file.

2) Am I correct to use "RefersToR1C1Local? And am I correct to use
"NameLocal:=True"? (It seems what makes the name local is
Name:="Sheet1!Blah"<.)

3) I note that is add([lots of parameters]) as Name. I think I could use
the parenthesis but then I would have to specify parameters in order? Is
that correct. I am trying to understand the difference between using and
not using parenthesis. This is a beginner question.

4) I note that as the very end, it has "as Name". I don't use that
anywhere. Should I be using somewhere.

Thank you.

Regards,
Kevin