Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jeff Saathoff Jeff Saathoff is offline

Default Genarating count of unique words in a cell or cells

Just wanted to let you know that this valuable post has helped out myself as
well. We're experimenting with it right now. What would you recommend to
exclude some common words such as "a", "the", "etc" or how would you build
such a list for it to bounce against?

"Tim Williams" wrote:

Hari,

Modify the Find() line:

Set rngWord = rngSrch.Find(What:=tmp, MatchCase:=False,
lookat:=xlWhole)

xlWhole will match the complete cell contents and not just a
substring.

Tim.

"Hari" < wrote in message
Hi Tim,

Thanx a ton for posting the codes. Just to tell you of why I needed
it, I
analyse Market Research data and I needed count of unique words to
analyse
open ended responses.
For example I am studying/tracking the usage of Software Development
tools.
I ran your code on the following 8 responses (8 rows of data).

hot dog pro
As 400 RPG
adobe photo workshop
microfocus emulators
html
ibm web sphere
vx works
powerhouse

The results Im getting is :-

hot 1
dog 1
pro 1
As 1
400 1
RPG 1
adobe 1
photo 1
workshop 2
microfocus 1
emulators 1
html 1
ibm 1
web 1
sphere 1
vx 1
powerhouse 1

Whats happening is that the SUB is treating "works" which is in the
7th row
same as "workshop" which is in the 3rd row. Consequently the count
of
"workshop" is being shown as 2 while "works" doesnt appear in the
result.
Please tell me whether it would be possible to modify the code in
order to
get the count for "workshop" as 1 and count of "works" as 1.