Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mark J Kubicki Mark J Kubicki is offline

Default cell validation list reference to a different worksheet

so, on a (hidden) worksheet, I would have a range of cells each with values:
='OtherWorkbook'!A1:A...
and then I would create a named range in the current workbook pointing to
the range of cells referencing the other workbook?
(what happens if the cells in the other workbook are moved, or... then the
references would be incorrect, and correcting the misdirect would be
cumbersome at best -no?)

not to sound un-appreciating; but, this seems a bit like a Band-Aid ?!?!
I don't understand why the range reference has worked for me in one
instance, and not in the other?

however, if this is the best way to get to the goal (?)

---mark

"Rob van Gelder" wrote in message
You've got a named range pointing to another workbook.
Why not make the named range point to a new list in the current workbook.
The new list points to the other workbook.

"Mark J Kubicki" wrote in message
huh?

"Rob van Gelder" wrote in message
Why not create a new list in your workbook which is a bunch of formulas
referencing "Job Nos for Timesheets.xls"

"Mark J Kubicki" wrote in message
i have a validation list created thru the ususal XL/data/validation...
it refences data in a different worksheet using a named range (created
thru XL/insert/name/define...)
the named range is defined by this formula:
=OFFSET('\\Server\Files\@ Timesheets\[Job Nos for
Timesheets.xls]Project List'!$F$3,0,0,COUNTA ('\\Server\Files\@
Timesheets\[Job Nos for Timesheets.xls]Project List'!$F$2:$F$506),1)

as the worksheet evolves, it would make sence for the list to vary...
so, i tried redefining it thru VB, its result in an error...

actually, if i do nothing but create a named reference to a list in a
different workbook
ex: '='[Job Nos for Timesheets.xls]Project List'!$F2:$F500"
--- i get an error: "cannot reference a different workbook for
validation... or something like that... or must be a delimited list..."
UGH! yet i had been previously ???

as always, thanks in advance, mark