Ralph

I am not aware that Excel can perform derivatives or integrals. Solver will
find the max for me but I need to run it "manually" to use the results in
further operations. ( I have about 19 of these curve fits in 1 file/7
worksheets). It would be nice to have an automatic way to do this.

"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

(eg. derivative where slope = 0 indicates maximum)

Hi. Just to mention. A derivative of zero on a 6th order polynomial means
it could be either a Maximum, or a Minimum. You would want to test the 5
solution points, and pick the largest. If you take the second derivative,
and substitute each of the 5 solutions, a positive number would indicate a
relative minimum, and a negative number would indicate a relative maximum.
Not sure where you want to go from here.

--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

"Ralph" wrote in message
I have a 6th order polynomial fit of data points. I want to find the
number
that would give the maximum value of this curve. Is there a formula that
would do this without creating a large table and evaluating the table for
the
Max?
(eg. derivative where slope = 0 indicates maximum)