Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ed Ed is offline

Default progress bar problem still

But he doesn't set an object to the doc if he is using a hyperlink.
Ouch! You're right - I missed that!

Well, what if he did set such an object? Would it be Nothing until the doc
opened? Could you trap the Nothing as in the previous code for a loop?
Then again, there could be too many variables, such as whether that's the
only doc open or not. If the hyperlink contained the name of the doc, you
could extract it for the object reference; if it doesn't, though . . . well,
I guess I'm out of steam. 8(

Ed

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
But he doesn't set an object to the doc if he is using a hyperlink.

If he did use automation to open the doc, then, I believe the code would
wait until the document is opened.

Tom Ogilvy

"Ed" wrote in message
Tom: I haven't tried this exactly, although I remember doing something
similar. I'd be interested in your comments and experience.

John: Since you're opening the document through VBA, you've set an

object
to the doc. You might try setting another object to the doc's first
paragraph. This will fail (I think!) until the doc is opened. Using On
Error and Is Nothing, you can construct a loop to set the object until

it
is
successful; when it is, Unload the UserForm.

Something like:

On Error Resume Next
Do
Set oPar = oDoc.Paragraphs(1)
Loop While oPar Is Nothing ' not sure of correct syntax here

Unload UserForm1
On Error GoTo 0

Ed

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
Hyperlinks operate asynchronously to the best of my knowledge. If you

want
that kind of feedback, you need to use automation. Even then,

opening
document is a single command, so you can't get inside that command and
operate a progress bar for the time it takes to open - at least not

with
any
built in capabilities of VBA that I am aware of.

Microsoft Office 2000 Automation Help File Available (Q260410)

Microsoft Office XP Automation Help File Available (Q302460)

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have some code that executes a hyperlink to open a word document

on
server. The code executes in secs, however thedoc takes a long time

open. I have all the latest info on progress bars but this is not
working for me. i need to display a message until the word doc

opens,
can display a message based on time i.e display the mssage for 5

secs,
but the document take a variable lenght of time to open, so i need

the
program to select the hyperlink display a message until the document

is
open and then disapear. hel;p please if this is possible.
regards

Johny5