Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Jim Thomlinson[_3_] Jim Thomlinson[_3_] is offline

Default move cell

I don't see too much wrong in here except that you never cleatr the contents
of Cell, and you are moving to the left instead of to the right.

cell(0,1).value = cell.value
cell.value = ""

In terms of moving or copying in the world of computers moving is just a
copy followed by a delete, so ther is no advantage in code to moving as
opposed to copy and delete.

HTH

"scott" wrote:

below, I'm finding a cell if it contains string "myword", then i'm trying to
copy (buy I'd rather move the cell 1 cell to the right from where it's
found). I need help on the cell copy (preferably move) part. No matter what
variables I change in the OFFSET part, I can't get the contents in the found
cell to copy (preferably move) 1 cell to the right. My function FINDCELL
works good.

Usage: MoveCell("myword")

Sub MoveCell(ByVal sSearchString As String)
Dim cell As Range
Set cell = FindCell(sSearchString, Sheets(1).Cells)
If cell Is Nothing Then
'action to take of no match
Else
cell(0, -1).Value = cell.Value

Function FindCell(searchFor As String, _
searchRange As Range) As Range

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
With searchRange

Set FindCell = .Find(what:=searchFor, After:=.Cells(.Cells.Count), _
LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False)

End With
End Function