Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
sq246 sq246 is offline

Default How do I force a browser based excel hyperlink to open a new w

Jake

I tried what you suggested but it still tried to go to the link on the same
page thereby losing my excel!

Help!

Sean

"Jake Marx" wrote:

Hi Sean,

The only thing I can think of is to use the FollowHyperlink event to trap
the click on the hyperlink. To do this, however, would force the "enable
macros?" popup, which you may not want.

If you don't care about that, you can do as follows:

1) In cell B10, change the formula to =Z10.

2) Right-click B10 and select Hyperlink. Click the "Place in This Document"
button on the left, select Sheet1, and type B10 in the cell reference box.

3) Right-click the worksheet tab at the bottom of the screen and paste the
following into the resulting code pane:

Private Sub Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(ByVal Target As Hyperlink)
ThisWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:="http://bigcharts." & _
"marke****ch.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=" & _
UCase$(Target.Parent.Value), NewWindow:=True
End Sub

4) Follow steps 1-3 for each hyperlink.

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

sq246 wrote:
Ron

Sorry that doesn't work! If you go to www.regentfinancial.net and
select the page tiltled The Market Scan Report and then click on the
link to see an example market scan report you will have an excel file
open. Within that file are hyperlinks, clicking on any of those
hyperlinks causes the excel file to try to close. I need to find a
way of making those hyperlinks open a new window rather than try to
close excel to go to the link URL.

Sean

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Hi Sean

Try Shift -Click

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"sq246" wrote in message
Hi

I am using Excel from Office 2003. I am uploading an excel file to
a website so the .xls file opens in a browser window. The excel
file contains hyperlinks. When teh user clicks on the hyperlinks,
they try to open in the same window, thereby shutting down the
excel programme - how can I force the hyperlink to open a new
browser window?

Urgent help needed!!

Thanks

Sean