Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rob Rob is offline

Default Number format based on number format of another cell in another workbook

Bob,

I've tried again, this time adding a Vlookup column in my opened text file
that returns 2, the CF add-in is set up likewise to format the cell to 2
decimal places. However, there are c. 200 rows and using the CF add-in copy
and past function, the reference is always to the initial formula and as
such would take forever to setup each cell condition. That is unless
there's a VBA method of setting up for each cell.

Regards, Rob

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Rob,

Sorry, not exactly sure what you mean? It would be the add-in itself that
allows the number format. So, if you had a VLOOKUP in the cell, you would
apply the add-in just like normal CF to test the value, and set the format
accordingly.

--

HTH

RP

"Rob" wrote in message
Bob,

Great Add-In. However, not allowing the formula Vlookup to look up

product
code and apply number format.

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
The Conditional Formatter add-in,
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html, handles cell
formats as well as the usual CF attributes.

--

HTH

RP

"Rob" wrote in message
Excel 2000

I have two files, one master and one created by opening a text file.

The
master file has a list of unique product codes and descriptions in two
columns, the text that is opened has the product codes and I add
during
the
opening process a look up to the product code to return the product
description, this all works fine. The text file after opening is 7
columns,
product code, product description and 5 columns of numbers.

What I need to do is format the cells (numbers) in the last 5 columns

of
the
newly opened text file. My thoughts are to add a third column to the
master
file whereby I'll have 3 columns: product code, product description
and
number format, in the number format column I would format the cell
with
the
required number format. My issue is, how using VBA do I format the

cells
in
the newly opened text file where the product code matches that of the
corresponding product code in the master file. The text file can have
many
of the same product codes and in some instances, not all of the
product
codes.

I had also thought of Conditioning Format but alas, this doesn't cover
number formatting.

Any pointers, snippets of code most welcome.

Thanks, Rob