Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Changing a "Counter" Value from a Sub

An alternative is to use a function, e.g.

Sub MySub()
Count = 1
Coot = 2
For i = 1 to 50
Count = Count + 1
Coot = Coot + 1
If Sheet1.Cells(Count,1) < Then Count = Fred(Count)
Next i
End Sub

Function Fred(cntr)
'some code
Fred = cntr+1
End Function

or even use a Public variable (not my personal preference)

Public Count

Sub MySub()
Count = 1
Coot = 2
For i = 1 to 50
Count = Count + 1
Coot = Coot + 1
If Sheet1.Cells(Count,1) < Then Fred ()
Next i
End Sub

Fred()
Count=Count+1

HTH

RP

"Norman Jones" wrote in message
Hi Jimfor,

By way of example:

Sub MySub()
Dim iCtr As Long

iCtr = 0
For iCtr = 1 To 1000
MsgBox "iCtr Pre-Fred = " & vbTab & iCtr
Fred iCtr
MsgBox "iCtr Post-Fred = " & vbTab & iCtr
iCtr = iCtr + 1
Next iCtr
End Sub

Sub Fred(ByRef mycount As Long)
If Range("A1") 10 Then
mycount = 10 * mycount
Else
mycount = mycount * 5

See ByRef in VBA help.

---
Regards,
Norman

"JimFor" wrote in message

I want to know if it is possible to change a "counter" amount, (or call
address
number?) from a sub which the main sub calls. For example, suppose I
have a
setup something like this:

Sub MySub()
Count = 1
Coot = 2
For i = 1 to 50
Count = Count + 1
Coot = Coot + 1
If Sheet1.Cells(Count,1) < Then Fred ()
Next i
End Sub

Fred()
(some code)
End Sub

The data I am looking at is such that if something happens in Fred(),

the
counter value for MySub() must be altered. Usually it has to be
increased.
For example, if the next Count number in MySub() shuuld be, say, 8
(according
to the For...Next system), a value I discover in Fred may make it
necessary
for the counter in MySub() to be, say 9. This allows the program to

look
at a
cell in a different order that it would automatically do following the
instructions in MySub(). i.e. Cell (9,1) instead of Cell (8,1) Right

now
I do
not seem to be able to have that happen. I have looked at the counter
value in
Fred() and I can make it change to any number I want by adding X to it
(Count
= Count + X). However, when I look at "Couint' in MySub() it does

not
change to the value I give it in Fred(). (At least I do not think it

does
and
I do not get the end result I need.) . I have set the variable "Count"
Public but even if I change it it Fred(), it MySub() does not seem

change
"Count." The program I am writing works OK except for the counter
problem.
Any suggestions as to how I can do what I need to do?

Thanks