Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Peter T Peter T is offline

Default Excel 2000 very unstable as a development environment

I'm not expecting a "this will fix it" kind of answer,

If I had these problems I would be seeking one :-)

Peter T

"Rob Nicholson" wrote in message
So do you mean you still can open the excel file while the code will no
longer work?

Yup - that's about it. The file opens okay but as you start single

stepping
through it crashes with a "memory cannot be read" which I'm assuming is a
bad pointer somewhere inside the binary.

If you wonder if the VBA code's malfuntion is caused by the corrupted,

you
may try to copy the code to a new created workbook to see if that works.

Spooky - we tried this on Friday. We've written a module to copy sheets,

VBA
& references to a new workbook. After the copy, single stepping doesn't
crash. However, run it a few more times and the crash will re-appear.

It's not completely repeatable though - sometimes it will crash, other

times
it won't.

We've restructured the initialisation code to do more from auto_open (such
as establishing connections to ADO Jet database) and this appears to be

more
stable.

I'm not expecting a "this will fix it" kind of answer, just trying to see

if
anyone has any tips. Obviously corrupt Excel workbooks aren't uncommon
considering the number of repair tools. We've used Excel-Fix several times
to save a lot of data :-)

Cheers, Rob.