Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
quartz[_2_] quartz[_2_] is offline

Default How locate connection information for web query?

Sure. I'm just building it and I have a 2-week vacation coming soon. So it
may be awhile, but I will make a note to e-mail you a copy. Don't be
surprised in a couple months to get this thing out of the blue!

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Send me a copy to my email below so I can see how you did.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"quartz" wrote in message
Exactly!

It runs really well and fast. I'm surprised how easy it is. I'm planning

on
using Excel as a front end for retrieving and reporting, charting, etc.

The
historical data will be automatically ported over to an Access DB so that
trends can be tracked.

Again, thanks so much! I'm like a kid with a new toy.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

If you recorded a macro while doing a refresh and without seeing
it,something like this.

for each c in symbolslist
="htttp:etcetcetc"&c
do your refresh thing
next c

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"quartz" wrote in message
Great! That did the trick! Thanks so much!

Now I guess if I want the data in a certain order/format, I need to

just
write some code to grab what I need, then loop to the next stock...any
thoughts/shortcuts on this?

Thanks again.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Yes, how did it work for you?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"quartz" wrote in message
Thanks Don. After right clicking, I selected "Export to Excel" is
that
right?

Thanks a lot to both you and Tom for your help.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

In later versions of excel you can right click in the body of

the
web
site
and download to an excel file. This creates a query. Then you

can
record
macro while using dataedit query. Then you can see how to

change
the
parameters in the resulting macro.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
do the query manually at the yahoo site, then look at the
resulting
URL.

Tom Ogilvy

"quartz" wrote in message
Thanks Dick.

Once I have the "URL" there is usually some short string

that
follows
the
URL that allows you to specify what stock or stocks you want
data
on.
How
do
I locate that info?

Can I go to "View" then "Source" and find it in the HTML

code
for
the
page?
Do I have to search the provider's web site for it? How do I

get
that
crucial
bit of info?

Thanks much in advance for your assistance.

"Dick Kusleika" wrote:

quartz

Open your browser and point to the page you want. Copy

the
URL
from
the
browser and paste it into your code. Don't forget to add

URL;
the
front
if you accidently paste over it.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel

quartz wrote:
I am new at working with web queries, and I am

attempting to
build
some
code that will download stock quotes. I know that there

are
some
canned
programs out there, but I want to learn by building this
myself.
Some
of
my VERY basic code so far is below.

QUESTION: The one question that I can't seem to find any
discussions
on is
how the heck does one locate the connection string to
connect,
say,
Yahoo.com or to Microsoft.com to import stock info?

Set qts = ActiveSheet.QueryTables
Set qt = qts.Add("URL;http://www.HOW DO i FIND WHAT THE

HECK
GOES
HERE",
Application.Range(ActiveCell.Address))
With qt
.WebSelectionType = xlSpecifiedTables
'.WebTables = "1"
.WebFormatting = xlWebFormattingAll
.RefreshStyle = xlOverwriteCells
.BackgroundQuery = False
.AdjustColumnWidth = True
.Refresh 'BackgroundQuery:=False
End With

Please help and be gentle to this starter...thanks in
advance.