Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Guillett[_4_] Don Guillett[_4_] is offline

Default How locate connection information for web query?

In later versions of excel you can right click in the body of the web site
and download to an excel file. This creates a query. Then you can record a
macro while using dataedit query. Then you can see how to change the
parameters in the resulting macro.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
do the query manually at the yahoo site, then look at the resulting URL.

Tom Ogilvy

"quartz" wrote in message
Thanks Dick.

Once I have the "URL" there is usually some short string that follows

the
URL that allows you to specify what stock or stocks you want data on.

How
do
I locate that info?

Can I go to "View" then "Source" and find it in the HTML code for the

page?
Do I have to search the provider's web site for it? How do I get that

crucial
bit of info?

Thanks much in advance for your assistance.

"Dick Kusleika" wrote:

quartz

Open your browser and point to the page you want. Copy the URL from

the
browser and paste it into your code. Don't forget to add URL; to the

front
if you accidently paste over it.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel

quartz wrote:
I am new at working with web queries, and I am attempting to build

some
code that will download stock quotes. I know that there are some

canned
programs out there, but I want to learn by building this myself.

Some
of
my VERY basic code so far is below.

QUESTION: The one question that I can't seem to find any discussions

on is
how the heck does one locate the connection string to connect, say,

Yahoo.com or to Microsoft.com to import stock info?

Set qts = ActiveSheet.QueryTables
Set qt = qts.Add("URL;http://www.HOW DO i FIND WHAT THE HECK GOES

HERE",
Application.Range(ActiveCell.Address))
With qt
.WebSelectionType = xlSpecifiedTables
'.WebTables = "1"
.WebFormatting = xlWebFormattingAll
.RefreshStyle = xlOverwriteCells
.BackgroundQuery = False
.AdjustColumnWidth = True
.Refresh 'BackgroundQuery:=False
End With

Please help and be gentle to this starter...thanks in advance.