Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dean Hinson[_3_] Dean Hinson[_3_] is offline

Default vlookup problem

Orion,

If you use VLOOUP, what I did in the past was concatenated the two columns
and concatenated the search string in order to look at more that one column.
However, what I think you should be using is DGET. You set up criteria
similar to this..

A B
1 name length
3 name length

Then the formula looks something like this...
=DGET(Spreadsheet1!A1:C7,Spreadsheet2!A1:B2,Spread sheet1!C1)

I think this is right. You might want to look at the function in more
detail in Excel Help.

HTH, Dean.

"Orion" wrote:

Hi there,

I have a table with machine specifications.
There are machines with same name, but different length and therefore
different prices.

I'm looking for a vlookup formula (or any other solution) which can
check for both: name and length and give me back the price.
(I don't like the suggestion to have a cell with name and length as
one entry, as the table is imported from a different source)

A B C
1 name length price
2 ABD 2000 1850
3 ABD 2500 2050
4 ABD 3000 2250
5 EFG 2000 3285
6 EFG 2500 3568
7 EFG 3000 3859

which price has the machine ABD with a length of 2500mm?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Best regards,
Norbert Jaeger