Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JulieD JulieD is offline

Default Date format on cells defaulting to US instead of UK

Hi Oisin

using your example (in Australia where we have the same default date format
as you) i had 1/11/04 10:00:00 appear in my cell. i'm using excel 2003
running on windows xp home.

The only date settings i ever played with were under control panel /
regional settings ...

sorry i can't be more helpful, but it's working for me.

Cheers
JulieD

"Oisin O'Reilly" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
We have an application (Excel Add-in) that writes dates to Excel
according to the current Short Date format. What I've found in Excel
2003 (and not previous versions, although I haven't tried Excel XP) is
that "ambiguous" dates, i.e. 01/11/04 are defaulting to appearing in
US mm/dd/yy format and not the UK format. I can boil the problem down
to the following - I don't have to write a line of VBA to demonstrate
this:

* Format a cell as custom format dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss
* Type in "1/11/04 10:00:00" - i.e. 1st November
* Appearing on the cell is 11/1/04 10:00:00

By putting a quote in front of the value in my application I can force
the dates to appear correctly - but this takes away from the
flexibility of my application.

Note Regional settings are ALL UK/Ireland. This has been checked and
double checked.

Is there some hidden setting in Excel 2003 that needs to change so
that it recognises the formatting imposed on it? I read on someones
post that VBA and Excel were writting by different groups. I'll need
some convincing that this is not a bug, but more importantly what can
I do about this (and tell my customers, because they probably won't
believe me when I say this is an Excel bug that I can't work around).

Suggestions very welcome!
thanks Oisin