Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jaf jaf is offline

Default Check to see if Excel has closed

Hi Bob,
You should use createobject & getobject to start with. That way you have a
"pointer" to work with.
(with the proper error checking)
This code example is in your VB6 help file also.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...getobjectx.asp

The on real "problem" with getobject is it will find any running Excel
session.
The work-around is to specify the full path.
Note this line in the code: "Set MyXL = Getobject("c:\vb4\MYTEST.XLS")

--

John
johnf202 at hotmail dot com

"Robert A. Boudra" wrote in message
Jim:

When I try that, it doesn't seem to work. The "TypeName" function still
returns the object type of "Application", even if the user has closed the
Excel Session.

Bob

"Jim Cone" wrote in message
Bob,
Something similar to the following (used to check for Word"),
should work for you...
'------------------------
Public appWord As Word.Application

Sub CreateWord()
Set appWord = New Word.Application
appWord.Visible = True
End Sub

'User could close application here

Sub CheckForWord()
If TypeName(appWord) = "Application" Then
appWord.Quit
Set appWord = Nothing
Else
'do something else
'------------------------
Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, CA

"Robert A. Boudra" wrote in message

I am building a VB6 application that uses Automation to populate an

Excel
worksheet with data from a database table. When cleaning up as the
application closes, is there any way to check to see if the user has
manually closed the Automation server (Excel session) before I attempt

close it in code?
Bob