Posted to comp.lang.java.databases,microsoft.public.excel.programming
keepITcool keepITcool is offline

Default Reading long strings (with jdbc) from Excel

you'll probably need to set IMEX=1 in the extended properties of the
jet connection string..

see Dick Kusleika's blog for more on the subject of mixed datatypes.
http://www.dicks-blog.com/excel/2004...al_data_m.html

--
keepITcool

Aaron Fude wrote :

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is a jdbc/java problem or an excel problem.
I use RmiJdbc to read from an Excel file as a database. In one of the
columns I have "long" strings (over 255 characters). When I try to
read them through JDBC I only get the first 255 (or 256) characters.

I use result.getString("Description"). But have also tried
result.getCharacterStream("Description") and reading the string from
the stream. In either case, I don't get the entire string.

Thanks,

Aaron Fude