Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Backup with date-time

You may want to post the code you used if Bob's answer didn't help. His code
worked fine for me after I saved the test workbook once.

But I did have to change the last line to:

Application.DisplayAlerts = True

appeng wrote:

Still comes up with comply error "expected: end of statement" and highlights
Filename

Art

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

How about this

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
With ActiveWorkbook
.SaveCopyAs Filename:="c:\temp\" & _
Left(.Name, InStr(1, LCase(.Name), ".xls") - 1) & _
Format(Now, "mmddyyhhmmAMPM") & ".xls"
End With
Application.Display = True

--

HTH

RP

"appeng" wrote in message
Bob,

Thank you! I am having a complie error. It does not like

FileName:=

But I am still working on it. I believe that is is domething simple, but

not
having a lot of VBA knowledge . . .

Art

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Does this work

Sub Save_Workbook()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
With ActiveWorkbook.
SaveCopyAs FileName:= "c:\temp\" & _
Left(.Name, InStr(1, LCase(ThisWorkbook.Name), ".xls") - 1) & _
Format(Now, "mmddyyhhmmAMPM") & ".xls"
End With
Application.Display = True

HTH

RP

"appeng" wrote in message
I am using MS Excel 97 and trying to save a backup copy of files, with
date
and time saved, to a specific directory while maintaining the original
file
name for the active workbook. For example

Original workbook 1 name = c:\data\schedule.xls
Original workbook 2 name = c:\data\data.xls

When saved, save a copy in c:\temp
With file name schedule NOV0504 623AM.xls
Or data NOV404 703PM.xls

The original file would remain
c:\data\schedule.xls and c:\data\data.xls

I have tried the following but cannot get it to work

Sub Save_Workbook()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs FileName:= _
"c:\temp\" & _
Left(ThisWorkbook.Name, InStr(1, LCase(ThisWorkbook.Name), ".xls") -

1) _
& Format(Date, "mmddyy") & Format(Date, "hhmmAMPM") & ".xls"
FileFormat:=xlNormal, Password:="", WriteResPassword:="", _
ReadOnlyRecommended:=False, CreateBackup:=False
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
End Sub

I am sure I am missing something simple. Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson