Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Eric Eric is offline

Default string manipulation

Steven,

Could you skip the programming altogether and use the "Text to Columns"
function (delimited by spaces) to separate the names into different columns,
then cut and paste the 'last name' column to go first? You could concatenate
them back together afterward.

Eric

"Steven Deng" wrote:

Hello, I have a list of names in the form of "Firstname optionalNames
LastName", and I would like to convert them to the form of "*Lastname,
Firstname optionalNames"

e.g.
"John Doe" is converted to "*Doe, John"

I have wrriten some vba codes (about 20 lines) which can do this. However, a
friend told me that this can be done using a sequence of built-in functions.
My programming background is mosty C/C++, where I usually have to write
everything from scratch. As I am not too familiar with the vast built-in
functions available, I am wondering if how this is done.

Sincerely,
Steven Deng