Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
david mcritchie david mcritchie is offline

Default Open File with Spaces in Path

Did you try enclosing in double quotes. If you have quotes enclosed
then you have to double the enclosed quotes.

Another thing to try would be to use %20 instead of the space
for within the pathname.
filename = Replace(filename, " ", "%20")
---
HTH,

"t.roff" wrote in message ...
I'm having the same trouble that you did. I'm using this:

Excelstr = "EXCEL.EXE" + " " + Forms![data import]![Viewer Filename]
Call Shell(Excelstr, 1)

The "Viewer Filename" is a path that has spaces in it and excel cuts off the
path wherever there is a space and tries to open a file. If there are two
spaces in the path, ie C:\Data from Calgary.xls is interpreted as
C:\Data.xls, from.xls, and Calgary.xls. Did you ever figure this out?

"J" wrote:

Right now I'm using the following which has double quotes:

Shell "excel C:\Sample Path\Sample File.xls",
vbMaximizedFocus

Please advise, and thanks for your help!