Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
kurb kurb is offline

Default Determining last row/column using ADO with closed workbook

Thank you Jamie - I 'll give it a spin.

A change in question:
I am rethinking my overall appraoch to solving my problem. The problem
being all of my data is stored in hundreds of bulky workbooks, and I
need to establish relationships between various colums in these
workbooks as well as execute formulas involving columns from various
workbooks.

I can use Excel for defining the worksheet templates and the equations
for calculating the column data, but instead of doing all of this in the
remote individual workbooks, I am thinking of doing this locally in
Excel and storing it in the closed Excel workbooks using ADO. I
currently bring all the data into a huge array which is indexed to the
scattered workbook/worksheet/column filing system.

I'm wondering whetgher it would make more sense to store all of this in
Access database, for the added flexibility of defining relationships and
sorting data based on these relationships. Instead of having a huge
array in Excel ( not a problem at this stage), presumably I can just as
easily call upon those colums in the Access database , manipulate them
in Excel, and update the database accordingly. I will also have to draw
the data from Access to display/chart them in Excel

Can this be done within Excel using ADO. If I creat the basic tables
from within Access, can I modify Table attributes, Table contents, and
make queries from within Excel

I wonder if there are any thoughts regarding the approach
Thank you for any suggestions

Kurb
My question is

Jamie Collins wrote:

kurb wrote ...

I ran into two problems with modifications I made

1. The FULL_NAME I used came back with an error that it was too long,
so I am assuming that the maximum lenght for this must be set somewhere.

2. I tried to use a Sheetname instead of "Sheet1$" for TABLE-NAME, but
it wouldn't work

The best approach is to find out what Jet thinks the sheet/table name
is and try using that name e.g. this code fetches all the tables'
(worksheets and valid book-level and sheet-level defined Names) names
for a workbook: