Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
isabelle isabelle is offline

Default open file with multiple types of delimiters

hi Tuli,

this is a real limitation

excerpt from EXCEL 2002 Help

expression.OpenText(FileName, Origin, StartRow, DataType, TextQualifier, ConsecutiveDelimiter, Tab, Semicolon, Comma,
Space, Other, OtherChar, FieldInfo, TextVisualLayout, DecimalSeparator, ThousandsSeparator, TrailingMinusNumbers, Local)

Other is True.
If multiple characters are specified, only the first character in the string is used, the other characters are ignored.

Another possibility is to do it in 2 steps

--
isabelle

Le 2012-01-10 08:37, tuli a écrit :
I have a file with the following format (n rows of):

Freq, Real+jImag which sometimes looks like

Freq, Real-jImag

I can tell excel to consider the coma as delimiter and only ONE option
for an arbitrary delimiter, say "+j". I would need another option for
an arbitrary delimiter for "-j".
Am I missing something, or this is a real limitation?

Thanks

Tuli