Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ken Loomis Ken Loomis is offline

Default If a Workbook is already open?

I use this function to test if a file is open before I let the user try to
open it.

Function WorkbookIsOpen(wbname) As Boolean
' Returns TRUE if the workbook is open
Dim x As Workbook
On Error Resume Next
Set x = Workbooks(wbname)
If Err = 0 Then WorkbookIsOpen = True _
Else WorkbookIsOpen = False
End Function

I call that function with this statement:

SummaryFileOpen = WorkbookIsOpen(summaryFileName)

and declare 'summaryFileName' this way

Private Const summaryFileName As String = "Summary.xls"

I got that function from the JW book on Excel Power Programming with VBA.

KL

"Mick" wrote in message
Hi

I have a macro that opens a workbook for the user to modify. However, I
need to stop the user from opening the workbook for a second time. I have
used the normal read only attribute which works to a degree, but if the
user chooses "No" I get an error in the macro. Also I don't want the user
to be able to say "Yes" and loose all the modifications made by opening
the workbook again.

--
Kind Regards

Mick