Basharat A. Javaid

Default Size of a Workbook

I have a workbook with numerous sheets and lengthy procedures and functions.
The size of the workbook has reached 3mb at a bare minimum which obviously
increases as more data is entered. I have over 200 clients with repeating
projects annually. The workbook is used for each client and saved as a
separate file with that client's name and the year. So for a given client,
I could have many years' files - as many as 15 years so far. Obviously,
over time, this can take up a lot of hard drive space - which is not the
primary problem given the prices of hard drives.

The main problem is that processing (recalculating) takes a long time even
though I have 2.4 GHz P4 with 512MB RAM.

Two questions:
1. How to reduce the workbook's size (of course without deleting
sheets/modules or splitting the workbook) - is there a utility in Excel
similar to the compacting database in Access.

2. How to speed up recalculation.

Thanks.

Basharat.