Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
alfonso gonzales alfonso gonzales is offline

Default I need the original digit format with zeroes untrimmed

I omitted to mention an essential fact: the problem with formatting these
cells to "Text" before copying the values is that I open the source file
exclusively for reading, and must not introduce anychanges:
the file is used by another program.

Użytkownik "Frank Kabel" napisał w wiadomości
Hi
try setting the format of these cell to 'Text' before copying the values.

Also try to use the .formula property

"alfonso gonzales" wrote:

Hello,
My query is about how to retain an 8 digit format while copying data
values
from one file to another.
I have a dbf file with one column containing 8 digit indexes. When I copy
some of those into an excelworksheet I get some of the indexes that start
with the zero trimmed, eg. 7063004 instead of 07063004. Now, it is
important that the indexes I copy are displayed and operated on as
8-digit
values (including the initial zeroes). How can I do that?

My macro does the following instruction
Dim IndeksVal As Long ' (I have also tried String) - this is a temporary
value
'[....]
IndeksVal = DbfData.Worksheets(1).Cells(oCell.Row, 1).Value
Application.ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(1).Cells(posco unter, INDX).Value
=
IndeksVal

and the following direct assignent does not work either:
'[....]

Application.ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(1).Cells(posco unter, INDX).Value
=
DbfData.Worksheets(1).Cells(oCell.Row, 1).Value

Other values that do not start with the zero, get copied "correctly".

Alvaro E. Gonzales