Posted to microsoft.public.vb.ole.automation,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.automation
DGT3 DGT3 is offline

Default Q317109

I have been working on making excel go away, only in VC++, using the example
code I found in KB articles 186120, 186122, and 179706.

So far I have narrowed it down to using the Open method of the Workbooks
object.
If I start Excel, add a workbook, put some information in it, save the
workbook and call the Quit method on the application object, Excel disappears
from the system's task list, just like its supposed to.

If I start Excel, get a reference to the workbooks object, though
GetWorkbooks, and open a workbook, (with no other action taking place) Excel
disappears from view, but won't exit the systems task list.

Next approach is grabbing a snapshot of the processes in the system, before
and after Excel is starting, then killing off the new copy of Excel when I
need Excel to exit. Not pretty, but have no other ideas at present...

There is a lot of extra potential for my application if I can solve this,
any help is appreciated.

David

"Naveen" wrote:

Jim

Your note has been extremely helpful.

Before I read this I had been searching for a while to resolve the
persistence of EXCEL.EXE process.

Thanks very much.

Naveen