Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
John Pritchard[_3_] John Pritchard[_3_] is offline

Default Cell Formatting Lost When Saving

Thanks for taking an interest! If I save as the "latest version" then orange
remains orange - But if I save as the old format orange is changed to yellow
when I reopen. Do you happen to know how to get the excel version a file was
created in ?

"Peter T" wrote:

Not sure if this is related but I've come across some curious problems
linked to the difference in default palettes in pre XL97 and XL97 on.

By chance, if you format a colour to orange (right of red on the palette),
does it come back a sort of brown after save / close / reopen.

Regards,
Peter

"John Pritchard" <John wrote in message
I save a workbook with workbooks(<filename).close savechanges := TRUE and
any cell formatting is lost. I've traced the circumstances to the version

of
Excel the original <filename was created in. If the file was version 4.0
formatting is lost (even if it's been subsequently saved as the 'latest

Excel
version') otherwise it's OK. Given that I can have no influence on the

Excel
version of the original file is there anyway of saving my formatting

changes
(I'm only interesting in the colorindex). Also how can I tell what the
original Excel version was from within VB (or elsewhere) - The above

applies
to XP, NT and windows 2000. I'm using office 2000 in all cases. Thanks.